Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Thursday, December 11, 2008

locks and lockers

Since I've started subbing, I've noticed one major change in the middle schools and high schools. It's the lockers.

When I was in junior high and high school, the lockers had combination locks that were integrated into the locker doors. There was also a keyhole on the bottom of the locks. The school administration had a master key and could open any of the lockers, at any time.

And open them they did! This was pretty common knowledge. Particularly when I was in high school, the police and police dogs would visit the school regularly. They'd be all decked out in their 5.11 Jackets, and would search the school for drugs. The dogs would sniff at all the lockers and search for drugs. If they smelled drugs, the principal would open the locker, and then that student would be taken out of class to have a "chat" with the police and principal. I never had a problem with this... I mean, I never had drugs in my locker. In fact, all I had in my locker (usually) was a few books and maybe my coat or backpack.

Anyway, nowadays the schools have all changed, so that each of the lockers has a removeable combination lock (like what you would buy at Walmart). There is no key access for the principal. If the drug dogs smell drugs, they have to use a bolt cutter to get into the locker.

I find this very strange!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home