Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

he's caucasian?!?!?!?!

Ever since I was young, I've been a huge fan of "The King and I", with Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr. I'm not as much of a fan of the modern versions - "Anna and the King", or the animated version - but the old classic Rogers and Hammerstein musical is outstanding.

We had that DVD out lately, and for whatever reason I googled Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner. And that was when I discovered my greatest shock...

Yul Brynner is Caucasian!

Now bear in mind, this is the Yul Brynner I am familiar with:



Very Asian-looking, right? Turns out, Yul Brynner was born in Russia and is only 1/32 Mongolian. I'm trying to find a good picture of him with hair for you. He really looks white there.

As a side note, did you know that Yul Brynner died of lung cancer?

UPDATE:
Yul Brynner with hair!


2 Comments:

  • NO, I didn't know he died of lung cancer. He was a very good actor.

    I'm an old classic movie buff and really like that sort of trivia.

    By Blogger BLAZER PROPHET, At October 23, 2007 6:57 PM  

  • I know I was shocked when I discovered he is/was Caucasian. He definitely LOOKS Asian, at least for his most famous movies (The King and I, and the Ten Commandments).

    As I recall from what I read about him, Yul Brynner was a lifelong smoker (kind of amazing when you consider what a great voice he had). He only quit a few months before he died. He did an interview with Good Morning America, talking about how he wanted to make a Public Service Announcement against smoking. That interview was turned into a PSA after he died.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At October 23, 2007 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home