Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Saturday, March 08, 2008

California home schoolers?

Just days ago, a California judge ruled that chilren can only be homeschooled if Mom or Dad has a teaching degree. I disagree with this ruling, but I must say I can't disagree with the spirit of this ruling.

I know lots of homeschoolers who thrive in homeschooling. Homeschooling is a perfect fit for those parents and children. However, I know lots of other homeschoolers who are not doing well in homeschooling, and the only person to blame is the parent. To be a homeschooling parent requires patience and dedication. You cannot just take a day off. If your child is not thriving under your instruction, you must be wise enough to send your child to a public or private school.

I can think of one parent, in particular, who is dooming her child to a life of menial labor because she is too lazy to teach her child during the day. This infuriates me like you can't even imagine.

A good homeschooling parent doesn't need a teaching degree. In fact, they don't even need a degree. However, a parent could have many degrees and still be a horrible homeschooler. I see what the judge is trying to do here. Even if he went about it in the wrong way, I'm glad he is at least trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home