Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Thursday, June 01, 2006

texas wrap-up

mood:home at last

My family returned to Missouri yesterday evening. There isn't a whole lot to tell about our mini-vacation. We helped my older sister move out of her apartment and move her things into a storage unit, which meant a lot of packing and a lot of carrying boxes from her 2nd-story-apartment to her car, our car, or her friend's truck.

Drea, it was definitely warmer down there than it was in Missouri, although I was told that it was not particularly "hot" by Texas standards (80s-low 90s F). However, it definitely felt hot for us, since we were lifting and moving and carrying and packing, and there were a lot of us in a fairly small space. I'm thankful, though, that Texas tends to have a dry wind blowing, because it actually feels pretty good when you're hot and sweaty.

We did do a couple of interesting things down there, though. One afternoon we visited a small aquarium, which despite its small size, was a lot of fun. They had an alligator snapping turtle, which is native to the midwest. I've seen tons of these turtles before, but the turtle at this aquarium was larger than any alligator snapping turtle I've ever seen before - probably close to 200 lbs! They also had a breeding program for seahorses, which was very cool! You may or may not know that seahorses are one of the only animals in which the father bears most of the responsibility for the birth and raising of the children. Seahorses lay eggs, but the father carries the eggs in his egg-sac until they hatch and is thus, in a manner of speaking, "pregnant". So I got to see pregnant male seahorses, and even got to see one male seahorse "giving birth" - that is, expelling the newly-hatched seahorse babies and their egg fragments. Cool stuff!


This is a large alligator snapping turtle. I didn't take this picture! But I think it gives you a pretty good idea of the size I saw!


This is a pregnant male seahorse. It's not a great picture, but I think it shows the male's pregnancy pretty clearly. Again, I didn't take this picture.

My sister also took us to the Radio Shack outlet, which was REALLY awesome! Electronic gizmos and gadgets, CHEAP! I got two pairs of earbud headphones for just $1 each. I also got an mp3 player, a Sandisk Sansa c140, for $89. It only has 1 gig, which was less than I was hoping for, but it was on sale for more than $30 less than retail. It was in the outlet store because the packaging was oh-so-slightly damaged. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but so far I am very happy with it.


This picture is the closest I could find on the internet to what my mp3 player looks like. I think the only difference is that my mp3 player has a different menu button.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home