Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Friday, May 19, 2006

reconnection

mood:content

Yesterday BunnyServant told me to write more. And she's right... it's been almost a week since I posted. It's been a somewhat crazy week, but I think it's been good. Let me see if I can catch everyone up on my week...

On Monday I got a call from my (ex) pastor, wanting to talk about the whole missions thing and whatever. He had previously spoken with my mother at the school where they both work. Again, he refused to tell me why he refused to reccommend me to go overseas. Finally, after much talking (arguing?) and persuasion, I was able to get him to admit that he did not reccommend me because he did not know me well enough to feel comfortable reccommending me. The ironic part of this was that I have offered numerous times to take him or his whole family out to dinner, or to other occassions which would give him the opportunity to get to know me, but he refuses. It's frustrating but that's the way it is. I am now realizing that he is not really that great of a pastor. It's little stuff but it's important - like, he and his wife do not answer their phone at home, and then they do not return phone calls after you leave messages. He does not have a seminary degree, which is a little thing but I wonder if that's important. He is very vocal about political issues, even though he knows that there are people in our church who disagree with him. He's not missions-minded, our church does not currently support any missionaries, and he seems completely oblivious to the need outside of the United States. He doesn't make a huge effort to get to know visitors to our church. Don't get me wrong - he knows a lot about the Bible, and I believe he is a Christian. But there's just little things that I'm seeing, that are showing me that I don't belong. So receiving this phone call from him on Monday was discouraging, but I refuse to let it stop me.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I received calls asking me to substitute at LSCCS. Two of the days were in secondary; one was in elementary. I love this school so I was glad to get these calls, especially since it's almost the end of the year. I have subbed in the secondary level so much this semester, and it's such a small group (only about 200 students), that I realized this week that I'm really going to miss these kids. I've subbed for almost all their teachers, and I know almost all the students. They're really awesome kids. I love teaching them.

On Tuesday, I recieved an email from the principal of the Academy on the Mercy Ship I hope to join. That email buoeyed my spirits so much. Since then, I have been in such prayer, that I can go to that ship. Oh, how wonderful that would be!

Surprisingly, on Thursday, I received a second email from the same principal. What an encouragement! I know Jesus is watching out for me!

I'm looking into taking a course or two at our local seminary, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, this summer. This would have many wonderful benefits. First, of course, it would be Bible education and training, which would be wonderful. Second, it would enable me to get my ACSI certification, which would help me to get a job aboard a Mercy Ship or elsewhere.

My hamsters have been a great encouragement during this time. I've taken some funny pictures, which I will post as soon as I get a chance, but I think this post is long enough already. Updates coming soon...

3 Comments:

  • Hi there
    I think that you should reflect inward and see if the pastors have a point, use this as a opportunity to learn something about yourself. In the past I would take criticism as an attack, but i have learned through the years not to do that and realize people are not out to get me. From reading your blog I think you should teach here and get some life experience, and then go over sea's. I have friends who joined the peace corps and it was emotionally draining, if they didnt have the life experience they brought with them they would not have come back sane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 21, 2006 10:54 AM  

  • Anon,
    Believe me, I've taken plenty of time to digest and interpret my pastor's comments. But there's so much more here that you are overlooking. For example, you are overlooking the problems in my (ex)church that are leading it astray. You are overlooking the fact that my older sister spent 3 years overseas, and because of that I am very familiar with the demands that will be placed on me. You are overlooking the fact that the doors to teaching in the US are CLOSED to me. CLOSED. Believe me, I've tried. And most importantly, you're overlooking my call. I cannot and will not deny God's request. He asks me to go overseas; I will serve Him in this way.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At May 21, 2006 12:23 PM  

  • Sorry, Anon, I just read that post and I realized that it sounded kinda mean. I don't intend for it to be! This whole process has just been very frustrating.

    I don't disagree that life experience is important. But I think God-experience is even more important than life experience, and I know that as I glorify God overseas, He will lift me up and give me the strength I need.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At May 21, 2006 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home