Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Friday, October 08, 2010

Volunteering to Paint the Hallways

Guest post of the week by Moises Henderson

My town just reopened the doors of a formerly closed down school and needed summer volunteers to help get it ready for the school year. As my children are going to school there, this past summer I got together with a lot of other parents to paint the hallways bright new pastel shades. It was satisfying for a couple reasons: the community benefits, personal fitness and helping out my town.

Every Wednesday night, I got my old painting clothes on, set my home security alarm that I found on www.securitychoice.com and got the kids in the car. When we got there, I got a couple hours of a good work-out in (carrying buckets, standing, painting) while the kids ran around their new school with the other kids. While chatting, painting and listening to music, I made some good friends with the other parents. I'm really glad and I hope we will continue to be friends now that our children are going to school together. It feels good to have that community...

I feel really good about the whole experience and only wish it were longer - though I am glad the kids are back in school!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home