Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

the freakiest thing happened just now...

Ok, so I was sitting here on my laptop computer, in the La-z-boy, working on a few cover letters to send out with my resumes and playing one of the CDs I got for Christmas on my computer. I'm just bopping along, writing and updating and la de da, when all of a sudden...

...I hear this huge THUMP!!! come from the foyer-area of the house. Our foyer is tiled, so it was a huge, echo-y kind of thump. I jumped a bit and hit the "mute" button for the music on my computer. I'm thinking, "Who's there? what's going on? is there an intruder in my house?"

All this, keeping in mind that, there has been a rash of home invasions on the other side of town. Granted, those were all on the other side of town, but still...

So, crazy me, I know I have to go find out what's going on. I start looking around me for some kind of weapon to take with me. (I don't own a firearm.) In my mind I'm thinking: baseball bat, maybe some kind of heavy lamp. I find myself surrounded by things that are either small, light, or - small and light! Finally, on the floor next to me, I find my old Bop-It game:



It's fairly heavy, so I quietly set down my laptop and pick up my Bop-It game. I sneak around to the foyer and the living room on the other side of the house: clear. I check the upstairs bathrooms and bedrooms, one room at a time. I begin to resemble Detectives Benson and Stabler, from my favorite version of Law and Order - "SVU".







Upstairs was clear! Feeling a bit silly, I returned to the La-Z-Boy to write this post. Perhaps I've begun hearing things.

10 Comments:

  • Thats hilarious! Bop them with the bopit... :-)

    By Blogger Drea, At January 04, 2006 8:53 PM  

  • Yes Drea. Had I encountered any intruders, I guess I would have "bopped" them to death... hopefully putting fear into the hearts of all my future students!

    What made it even better was when I attacked a few strange lumps on the bed... just in case. I smacked 'em with the bop it... and the game started playing "TWIST IT! PULL IT! BOP IT!"

    I'm sure I looked quite threatening.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 04, 2006 10:41 PM  

  • Hey Taylor,
    Isn't that what 12 year old sisters are for? No seriously... I always say that the best thing that ever happened for my relationship with my sister, was when she moved overseas. We've never gotten along better than when we lived in different countries. :)

    Right now, I'm just a substitute teacher. Just graduated college. So I've done a minimal amount of full time teaching thus far. My mom is a teacher too (2nd grade). I can tell you for sure, though, that teaching DOES sometimes get annoying. Sometimes I have students that I just want to bop on the head. But the rewards far outweigh the challenges in this job. I love it and I can never imagine doing anything different with my life.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 05, 2006 8:27 PM  

  • So funny! It's amazing how our imagination plays tricks on us to envision the worse. I used to worry when hubby worked night shifts. One night I dreamt I was chasing nothing around in the dark with a butter knife, stabbing air. Talk about foolish fears.

    By Blogger sparrow's song, At January 06, 2006 7:26 PM  

  • Our silly fears are definitely strange, Sparrow. But there's been a rash of home invasions in our area lately, and they've been moving towards my end of town, so I had a nearly legitimate reason to be nervous. I'm thankful that there was no one in my house. I can deal with my silly fears - much better than a REAL problem!

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 06, 2006 10:07 PM  

  • I never meant to belittle your concerns for the break-ins. So if it came across as such, I apologize. Yes, you are correct in being nervous. I suppose I was more so belittling MY foolishness because my imagination ran wild way back when. Please know I understood what you meant.

    It's great meeting you and getting to know you. Come by my place if you ever feel you might like to.

    By Blogger sparrow's song, At January 07, 2006 11:09 AM  

  • Oh,sparrow, don't sweat it. Crime in our area has been really weird so far this year. There's just... a lot of it. And a lot of strange crimes. Plus other things happening that are definitely not good, but maybe not crimes. Like last night... some guy got run over by an Amtrak just a mile or so away from my house. Police said he was just sitting on the tracks. Really odd... and really sad, because he was probably suicidal.

    Like I said, strange things happening. I find it funny, though, that when those strange things happen, it makes our "silly fears" all that much more amplified. For example, in the situation with the home invasions, it makes ever bump and groan of the house suspicious. My hamster is always upstairs, running in her cage or whatever, an sometimes the noise she makes will make me jump. Which is totally silly, because my hamster is the most tame critter imaginable. Our "silly" fears become that much more real when they happen to someone - anyone - in our world.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 07, 2006 4:41 PM  

  • Any intruder in my house is gonna get shot in the knee. Then get the cops.

    I think it is horrible that people have no way to protect their family in a situation like this.

    By Blogger BadGod, At January 08, 2006 6:27 AM  

  • We do! :-)
    Just always remember... if a cop ask you what you were trying to do...just say "I was trying to stop him."

    By Blogger Drea, At January 11, 2006 11:10 AM  

  • "Yes officer, I was trying to stop him with my Bop-It. It was a difficult task, but someone had to do it." :) j/k

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 11, 2006 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home