Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Monday, January 02, 2006

deleting comments and why I hate to do it

Nine months ago, when my sister convinced me to create "Tidy Bowl's Not-So-Tidy Thoughts", I dreamed of a place on the internet where people could come for wholesome, productive debate. I've never had a problem with people who disagree with me. However, as I neared graduation and "TBNSTT" evolved into "Tidy Bowl Begins", two of my frequent readers became the two girls I mentor, B and A. B is 13 years old and in the 7th grade. A is 14 years old and in the 9th grade.

Before B and A viewed this blog, I warned them of what they would see on here - that there were some people who disagreed with me and that often, those people could be quite unreasonable in their beliefs. I checked this blog multiple times every day to ensure that none of the comments were inappropriate.

Around the end of November or beginning of December, Drea suggested that I turn on comment moderation. I was hesitant to do that because I have always been such a huge proponent of the first amendment, free speech, etc. However, Dan at Crallspace had pushed me over the edge. He has written three inappropriate comments within four hours, and I cannot allow this at Tidy Bowl Begins.

Sorry, folks. I wish I didn't have to do this. But my brothers and sisters will understand that the world we live in has forced me to this point.

5 Comments:

  • I know you won't post this.. but this is hilarious! Thank you for a good laugh.

    I mean that in all seriousness.

    I started laughing at you calling others' beliefs unreasonable... by the end of the post, I was flushed with laughter.

    BTW, keep your spam out of my blog. It will all be deleted, but your far right debate points will be kept around for good laughs. You are a hypocrite in so many ways.

    By Blogger crallspace, At January 02, 2006 8:13 PM  

  • Keep your spam out of my blog? Werent you the one pretty much advertising Tidy's blog regarding her post on Organic food?

    By Blogger Drea, At January 03, 2006 3:15 PM  

  • Can't say as I believe in other's freedom of speech on my blog. Their liberty ends where mine begins.

    In real life, people have a right to say what they feel but they forget they also a right not to say it.

    I totally understand why you put the 'comment moderation' on. You do as you think you need to on your blog and I'll respect that as best I can.

    By Blogger sparrow's song, At January 06, 2006 6:15 PM  

  • Thanks Sparrow.

    After I started moderating comments, you might notice that I also put a note in my sidebar about comments. Simple, short, but the honest truth: "I welcome opinions, but please be respectful. Inappropriate comments will not be posted."

    Since I have begun moderating comments, I have lost count of the number of inappropriate, obscene, disrespectful comments I have received. It's pretty ridiculous.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 06, 2006 6:21 PM  

  • Yes, different ideas and even additionals one on a subject done with grace is understandable. But some think they have a right to rant anywhere, anytime.

    Since I have begun moderating comments, I have lost count of the number of inappropriate, obscene, disrespectful comments I have received. It's pretty ridiculous.

    Well, they have to get their jollies somewhere, I suppose. Thank you for being there for their probably otherwise bleak existence.

    By Blogger sparrow's song, At January 06, 2006 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home