Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

humble blessings and a Merry Christmas

I received a letter from my sponsored child on Christmas Eve. I have sponsored a girl named Betty in Zimbabwe through World Vision for... eight years? (hopefully I will get her photo on here soon). The letter prompted me to go onto World Vision's website, where I discovered that I now have the opportunity to send my letters to Betty via e-mail. How awesome is that?! More power to WV for creating this opportunity! I am so excited, because I know that having e-mail will allow me to get to know Betty so much more.

But definitely, receiving this letter from Betty was such a reminder of the blessings I and my family have been given. Betty is such a beautiful girl, but her family does not have much. Her family depends on the rain to provide enough crops to feed the family for the year. I can't imagine living the way her family lives. Yet they have such joy, and it makes me so happy to know that God has brought them joy in the midst of all their difficulties. It makes Christmas so much sweeter.

4 Comments:

  • To prove the non-existence of god we first need to define the word "god". When christians talk about god they mean an almighty being. This, I think, is the only god that holds, since it is the only god that can be logically justified.

    I think it makes most sense if god is female, because only women can give life. Something that even people in the Stone Age understood. Later when wars affected the cultural evolution, and men took control of society, god became male, but the female god still lives on in the expression "Mother earth". It should also be pointed out that an omnipotent god must be either androgyne or sexless. However, in most religions god is male so I will refer to god as 'he', 'him' etc.

    Some people (Einstein for instance) believe in a god who is not a personal god, but a Spinozan kind of god. I claim that this god is not a god! To say that god is universe - by getting knowledge of the universe we get knowledge of god - is to redefine the meaning of the word god. This has nothing to do with the word god as it was defined by the "primitive" cultures which preceded our present civilization. He can be excluded with Occam's razor, and most important: Such a god does not hear prayers.

    If god is not omnipotent there is nothing that prevents him from being a product of the universe. If that is the case, what makes god divine? Then god would only be an alien, a being of matter; probably containing flesh, blood and DNA like all life we know of. Everything god is able to do would be things that human beings also will be able to do, all his knowledge would be knowledge we will also achieve. In fact humans would be gods, which should lead to some strange kind of humanism!

    By Blogger Dave, At December 27, 2005 4:18 AM  

  • Awww. That is so sweet. I can't believe that you can communicate through e-mail now. That's awesome.

    By Blogger Lindsey, At December 27, 2005 11:35 AM  

  • Thanks, Linny. Our e-mail communication is actually not direct. I send the email to the World Vision directors of her area development project and include my account number and Betty's ID number. The World Vision translators print the email and translate it into Betty's native language. Then Betty receives both the printed email (in English) and the translation.

    I can still send her letters via snail-mail, which I do, and include small flat objects, like photos, bookmarks, or ribbons.

    One thing I am planning to do is to crochet her a small, flat bookmark. I want her to have something she would really treasure. The catch is that I need to make something that is fairly flat. Harder than you'd think! Lots of the patterns I've found include beads or several layers yarn.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At December 27, 2005 12:17 PM  

  • So precious of you to sponsor dear Betty. You're making a huge difference in a life.

    By Blogger Gina, At December 27, 2005 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home