Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Jennifer Snyder... a thank-you thrown to the wind...

As I've graduated, I have made the effort to contact all the people, past and present, who have greatly impacted my growth as a student, as an academic, and as a human being, to give them my heartfelt thanks. Despite some challenges (many of my teachers have retired), I have found quite a bit of success. I have contacted Dr. H and Mrs. M, from elementary school, and Dr. F and Dr. PB, from college. There has only been one teacher whom I have been entirely unsuccessful at contacting, which brings me to this post. Some of the information I include might not make sense to all of you - but if the right person reads it, she'll know exactly what it means.

As a senior in high school, I was enrolled in Dr. Jennifer Snyder's college physics class through the Math-Physics Institute at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Dr. Snyder knows how hard my senior year was. I was in a car accident that fall, and missed two and a half months of school. When I returned to school, I faced the challenge of making up two and a half months of school work. Dr. Snyder was amazing. Her class was the most challenging, but possibly the easiest class to make up. She tutored me privately after school for the entire second semester. Together, with a lot of hard work and determination, I finished that class - with an A.

I don't know how much of the physics I remember. If I was to take another physics class, I think it would come back to me easily, but since I haven't studied it in a few years it isn't very fresh in my mind. What I will never forget is the way that Dr. Snyder cared about me enough to take time out of her schedule to help me make up my schoolwork. It may have seemed like a little thing to her, but it was a big thing to me.

Dr. Snyder, you were an amazing professor. If I can become a teacher half as good as you, I know I will have made a difference.

6 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger PDD, At December 23, 2005 11:03 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger PDD, At December 23, 2005 11:06 AM  

  • PDD, you don't know what you are talking about. Jennifer Snyder helped me survive one of the most difficult semesters of my life. She has done incredible things with her life, and she helped me do incredible things with my life. I can't thank her enough. If she finds this post, I hope she knows that I am eternally grateful to her. You can slander Dr. Snyder as much as you like, but you cannot change her influence on my life or on the lives of dozens of her other students.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At December 23, 2005 12:23 PM  

  • That is so sweet. I have a teacher like that from high school.
    Ms. Abbott. She was amazing...she even led us in a protest against the schools silent lunch rule.

    By Blogger Lindsey, At December 23, 2005 6:32 PM  

  • I'm glad you understand, Linny.
    Some teachers are really outstanding. I think it doesn't take much to be a "good" teacher, or an "okay" teacher. Ordinary teachers are a dime a dozen. The teachers I remember are the teachers who were extraordinary, who really went beyond being a teacher and became life-changers.

    I hope I can be a life-changer someday.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At December 23, 2005 7:01 PM  

  • Pssst! Stop by my blog. You are cordially invited to a Christmas party there.

    By Blogger Phil, At December 24, 2005 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home