Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Nadia Xiohannah

This morning, I got in my car to go to church and one of my *new* favorite songs was on the radio. But before I can explain why this song is one of my favorites I have to explain the story behind why...

It's June, 2002. (FYI this is before I became a Christian) I traveled to China with my family to visit my sister who, at that time, was living there. We saw lots of neat stuff, like the Great Wall and Emperor Mao's terra cotta soldiers. But at every hotel we stayed at (there were 3 or 4) we saw several families who were in China to adopt. The Chinese government had given them their children (baby girls), but they were waiting on papers from the U.S. embassy so that they could bring their babies home. I've always loved children, and to see these children just broke my heart. They were the sweetest, most innocent little girls, and through no fault of their own they did not have a home.

Ever since I became a Christian, adoption has been on my heart. Somehow I've always known that someday I will return to China for my daughter. The Bible calls me to care for the widows and orphans, and I cannot turn my back on them. Those who know me well know that there are also a number of other reasons why I would choose adoption, but this is the most important: Somewhere out there is my baby girl, and I would be heartless to abandon her.

Anyway, this morning I got in my car and they were playing one of my favorite songs. It's by Steven Curtis Chapman, who is a huge proponent of adoption, and I can barely listen to it without crying. It's called All I Really Want For Christmas.

The real kicker of it is that, in the middle of my pastor's sermon this morning, I was doodling on my notes and started writing out the lyrics to this song. Then all of a sudden I burst into tears. In the middle of my pastor's sermon! It was a show complete with streaked mascara (why did I decide to wear mascara today?) that left me scrambling for a kleenex!

Well, I don't know if you remember me or not
I'm one of the kids they brought in from the home
I was the red-haired boy in an old, green flannel shirt
You may not have seen me, I was standing off alone

I didn't come and talk to you 'cause that's never worked before
And you'll probably never see this letter, anyway
But just in case there's something you can do to help me out
I'll ask you one more time

All I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
A shoulder to cry on if I lose, shoulders to ride on if I win
There's so much I could ask for, but there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family

Well, I guess I should go ahead and tell you now
If it's really true about that list you have
Somehow I always seem to end up in a fight
But I'm really trying hard not to be bad

But maybe if I had a brother or a dad to wrestle with
Maybe they could teach me how to get along
And from everything I've heard it sounds like the greatest gift on earth
Would be a mom

All I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
A shoulder to cry on if I lose, shoulders to ride on if I win
There's so much I could ask for, but there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family

All I really want for Christmas is someone who'll be here
To sing me happy birthday for the next 100 years
And it's okay if they're not perfect or even if they're a little broken
That's all right, 'cause so am I

Well I guess I should go, it's almost time for bed
And maybe next time I write you I'll be at home

Cause all I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
Tell me I'll never be alone, someone who's love will never end
Of all that I could ask for, well, there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family


Tell me, how can I say no? How can I say no to the Lord? How can I say no to a baby girl?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home