Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Respect

After I started my series on the Biblical biographies of Jesus, I realized just how much time and research was involved in writing those posts. So, I thought that today I would take a break from that and think about something else.

In my upcoming classroom, there's a lot of words I'm going to have to discuss. Some schools call them "character words", some schools call them "power words", etc., but they're really all the same. I wanted to put a few of the words out here on the internet so that I can gather your opinions on what the words mean. I'd also like to hear how you believe you can see these words demonstrated. I will post a couple of "dictionary" definitions or other definitions I can find on the internet, and hopefully in a few days I will give you my definition.

The first word I'd like to hear about is "respect".

From Merriam-Webster Online (http://www.m-w.com/):
Function: noun
1 : a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation
2 : an act of giving particular attention : CONSIDERATION
3 a : high or special regard : ESTEEM b : the quality or state of being esteemed c plural : expressions of respect or deference
4 : PARTICULAR, DETAIL
- in respect of chiefly British : with respect to : CONCERNING
- in respect to : with respect to : CONCERNING
- with respect to : with reference to : in relation to
Function: transitive verb
1 a : to consider worthy of high regard : ESTEEM b : to refrain from interfering with
2 : to have reference to : CONCERN

From Cambridge Dictionaries Online:
respect (ADMIRATION) Show phonetics
noun [U]
admiration felt or shown for someone or something that you believe has good ideas or qualities:
I have great/the greatest respect for his ideas, although I don't agree with them.
She is a formidable figure who commands a great deal of respect (= who is greatly admired by others).
New teachers have to earn/gain the respect of their students.
See also self-respect.
respect (HONOUR) Show phonetics
noun [U]
1 politeness, honour and care shown towards someone or something that is considered important:
You really should treat your parents with more respect.
She has no respect for other people's property (= She does not treat it carefully).

2 when you accept that something which is established or formally agreed is right or important and do not attempt to change it or harm it:
In their senseless killing of innocent people, the terrorists have shown their lack of respect for human life.
She grumbled that young people today have/show no respect for the law.

3 when you accept that different customs or cultures are different from your own and behave towards them in a way which would not cause offence:
She teaches the students to have respect for different races and appreciate the diversity of other cultures.

Okay... this should be enough to chew on for awhile. I will post all comments as long as they are appropriate (no foul language or inappropriate innuendo).

2 Comments:

  • Hello! Hopping over from Pia.

    Here's one Merriam-Webster might have forgotten.

    Respect= a form of love for fellow humans and other living species.

    I love your little hamster! Awww Haha, I even used it in a sentence. Do I get extra points?

    By Blogger sparrow's song, At January 06, 2006 6:05 PM  

  • Double bonus points, for using it in a sentence AND for being respectful!

    Yay for sparrow!

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At January 06, 2006 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home