Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Today's prayer letter; also, the downside of blogging

December 17, 2006, or 17-12-06

Dear Friends,
I have so much to say that I'm not quite sure how to say it. Undoubtedly, one challenge that many of you have run into while blogging has been the danger of getting "discovered". In other words, there are many things that you may say to your family or friends in person, but which you would never write on a public forum such as your blog, for fear that your boss, co-workers, etc. will discover it. Here I am encountering just one such a situation.

I bring you some important news. I am changing positions aboard the ship. Most of you know that I have been teaching high school English in the Academy on the ship, where the children of the long-term crew members are educated. The Academy seems to be moving to a British style of education, and since I am American, my background is not considered suitable for this type of schooling.

Praise the Lord, I am not going to be forced to leave the ship - which, for a time, I feared I would be. I have accepted a position in Crew Services, where I will be a housekeeper. I may at times also serve as a librarian or seamstress. By the grace of God, I am so excited about this position. The team in Crew Services is so close-knit. We will have devotions two times each day. I will be allowed to listen to music (on my mp3 player) all day while I am working. Not only that, I am encouraged to sing. I will work 8-5, and when I'm done I'm done. No working overtime, no working on weekends, no worrying about work in the evenings. So much less stress. Just lots of love, lots of encouragement, lots of serving others, and lots of time to serve others off-ship. That's why I came to Africa in the first place.

On an unrelated topic, I ask for your prayers as I am currently faced with a big decision that may involve overcoming my own self-consciousness. Sorry to be so vague, but as I said earlier, this is a public forum! If you are interested in learning more about anything mentioned in this post, please just email me. I will do my best to reply and give you more information as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for all your prayers. I can't tell you how blessed I have been by those.

All my love,
"Tidy Bowl"

5 Comments:

  • praying for you, tidy. keep the faith and be strong in Him. God bless. =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 19, 2006 8:07 PM  

  • You went to Africa to spread Gods word, hw are you doing that not leaving the ship? Shouldnt you be teaching the Africans?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 22, 2006 7:01 PM  

  • Anonymous, there are a couple of ways I could respond to this, but one thing stands out from your comment: There's a lot more involved in spreading God's word standing on a street corner with a Bible, or some such activity.

    My frustration thus far has been from my lack of time to get involved in our "Mercy Ministries" projects, at the orphanages, the prison, and the psychiatric hospital. However, I am not at all ashamed of anything I have done, because my work in the past three months has made it possible for surgeons to operate and for community development teams to drill wells and build structures to improve communities.

    No, I may not have left the ship much. But I have spread God's word here in Africa. If you still can't understand that, feel free to leave another response or to email me.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At December 24, 2006 7:30 PM  

  • I was going to start with the following:

    "I am sorry but you have so much more to give than being a cleaning lady".

    I changed my mind because your heart is in the right place and the fact that you are willing to do that speaks volumes of your character (good things). I will say this though, when your tour ends please come home and help make your back yard a better place as you have lots to give.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 25, 2006 8:39 AM  

  • Anon, thank you for your kind words. Being a "cleaning lady" isn't my first choice, but I truly believe that this is where God has led me. I still have another six to nine months left of my original commitment, but I am prayerfully considering making a longer commitment at this time. Perhaps I may have a lot to give - but even Jesus washed His disciples' feet.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At December 29, 2006 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home