Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Monday, September 03, 2007

Hurricane Felix

Tonight, while we were making dinner, my mom and I turned on World News Tonight with Charles Gibson. They began discussing Hurricane Felix on the news, and all the massive damage that it is doing to the Caribbean.

I was chopping vegetables for our potato salad (by the way, we have the BEST potato salad recipe in existence - email me if you're interested!) and my mom was cooking chicken and making salads. (My dad was outside grilling steaks.) Anyway, as natives of the Midwest, we agreed that you can go ten lifetimes without ever seeing a tornado. But if you live in the Gulf Coast, it's almost impossible to go ten years, even, without ever living through a hurricane. I am twenty four years old and I've never seen a tornado. I've lived in Missouri virtually my entire life. I've gone to the basement a few times, but that's it. Sometimes I even ignore the sirens just because, really, even if the siren is going off, the chances of getting struck by a tornado are one in a million. I think that living elsewhere is just crazy. I love it here.

Yet, as my mother said, the people who live in hurricane-prone areas (like Florida or Louisiana) think that we are crazy for living in a tornado-prone area. It's a good thing, too - I don't think there are enough hurricane-free areas in this world to hold the world's population.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home