Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Monday, November 05, 2007

talking jesus doll

Walmart has begun selling a talking Jesus doll. I wish I could say I felt really good about this, but I don’t. I remember reading once, ages ago, that the folks at Big Idea (makers of Veggie Tales), made a decision early on that they would never portray Jesus as a vegetable. I fully support that decision. It’s a respect thing.

On the one hand, I can understand why parents are looking for toys that are more respectful or less violent. But I’m just not comfortable with Jesus portrayed as a doll. It’s like that puts God in a box, and He is so much bigger than that! Plus, it turns God into something that can be purchased. Imagine - “You can have this talking Jesus doll with just one easy payment of $29.95!”

I also read that it comes with a booklet telling parents how to shape their child’s faith. I’m not comfortable with that. A parent should teach, they should lead, they should guide, but they should never force a child to believe something.

Jesus isn't retail, and we should never try to make Him that. You can't buy Jesus. You can't earn Jesus. You can only love Jesus - and it's nothing like loving a talking doll.

Also, these toys are made in China. Nowadays we all know what “made in China” means. Honestly, if I was a parent and I was looking for some good, safe, non-violent, unleaded toys, I would just go outside of Kansas City, towards Warrensburg, where there is a beautiful store that sells Amish furniture and toys. Their toys are simple wooden cars and dolls. They are made in the USA (right here in Missouri, in fact), they are completely safe for children, and kids have imaginations that can fill in the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home