Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2005

A hamster in my car: a story I'll be telling my grandkids

Today after work I picked up my hamster. By the way, she is bright eyed, busy tailed, healthy, perky, and everything else I could want. I was given a small cardboard carrying case in which to take her home. FYI, I had approximately a 30-minute drive home.

I was approximately five minutes from home when I looked down and, crawling on the floorboard of the passenger side was my hamster. I should get an oscar for not crashing the car at that moment! I didn't know if I should pull over and stop or keep going!

I made a very risky move, crossing two lanes of traffic to get off at the next exit. By this time the hamster had crawled under the dashboard, so I carefully drove homeward via the back roads. Closer to my home (maybe two minutes away?) she reappeared. I pulled over, but by the time I could stop, she had crawled under the seat and I could not find her. I returned to the road and drove homeward.

I pulled into my driveway, put my car in park, and began to move around the car in all kinds of acrobatic moves in an attempt to find my hamster. I prayed and prayed and prayed that my ham would be okay and reappear. Behind me (on the street), I saw my mother's car, unable to get into the garage because my car was blocking her. My dad got out of it, and I knew that he was coming over to tell me to move my car. I stuck my head out the window and hollered at him to come quickly.

Only a few seconds later, the hamster reappeared on the floorboard of the passenger seat. I grabbed her and took her straight inside to her cage, which was luckily already prepared for her return. Once she was inside her cage, I could at last breathe easily again.

She's spent the rest of the evening exploring the cage and enjoying the food and treats I gave her. She looks sooooo cute. I'll post some pictures soon.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home