Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

faith like a child

People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.
Mark 10:13-16


mood:pensive

Today I subbed for a para who helps two 14-year-old kids with Down's syndrome. One of them functions at the level of a 4-year-old, and other is slightly above that, but not far. This day has been an interesting study in human sociology. Sometimes I was very frustrated with my students, because they were behaving like children. I think it might be just built into our brains to expect a certain level of behavior from kids (or adults) of certain ages, and when my 14-year-old student is throwing a silly tantrum just like a 4-year-old, that's tough.

But before the day was over, these two kids had earned my admiration. In so many ways, how nice it would be to be to trust and to love with such simplicity. I was hugged today more times than I can count. How nice it would be to be filled with a love so pure.

2 Comments:

  • I use to have to baby sit my bosses (from seminary) downs boy every once and a while.
    He was a sweetie. He was 8 years old I believe... his case of downs was very strong though. He was more like a 3 or 4 year old in behavior... if that... I use to baby sit him while I was pregnant w/ Caleb... and I remember having a sense of fear hoping Caleb wouldnt be born like he was...
    It takes such a strong parent to deal with special needs children.
    My boss and his wife Andrea were such amazing parents.
    I know the Lord has taught them a lot through the eyes of this child.

    Oh speaking of my boss. He actually got saved through VBS. His daughter got invited to Vacation Bible School years ago... and on the final night (where you invite parents to see what the kids have done all week)... both her mom and dad got saved... were baptised... less than a year later he was the big boss upstairs in the public relations dept at the seminary. It was amazing to see the Work Christ had done in this mans life in such a short period of time.

    His wife had even taught a womens class on special needs children.

    By Blogger Drea, At March 23, 2006 9:45 AM  

  • I know what you mean, Drea.
    I don't have any kids, and honestly, I don't know how parents of kids with downs can do it. But at the same time, those kids are so amazing, so precious. Before lunch, one of the kids had declared me his "best friend", and I got so many hugs - it was a challenging job, but oh so much fun!

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At March 24, 2006 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home