Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

an observation about humankind and Christianity...

Today I made a couple of interesting observations. My good friends know that I am, in many ways, not a fan of the church in the United States today. I've been hurt more deeply by so-called "Christians" than I ever was by non-Christians. FYI, I am going to "profile" two of my co-workers. However, I have attempted to change enough details to protect myself while maintaining the core of their stories.

One boy I work with is named "Coby". He is a Christian and is working two jobs in order to save up and go to Bible college in California. Don't ever mention you're tired when you are around him, because he is ALWAYS more tired than you, since he works so much. The general manager loves him, which I find incredibly annoying but that's not his fault. The GM loves him because he's a good salesman - right down to lying to a customer if that's what it takes to sell them a product! He's incredibly cocky and rude, and he becomes offended if I suggest that he is doing something incorrectly. Today I had to return a piece of antivirus software that he sold to a customer, as well as selling them a computer. The software was not only incompatible with the computer he sold them, but they got a virus as a result of it and had to take their computer to Best Buy for help. Apparently, though, that didn't matter much, as long as he made the sale. Coby always considers himself a little bit above the rest of us, because he considers himself a very "holy" person. He's never touched drugs, never smoked a cigarette, never touched alcohol - and I suspect he figures that God will give some bonus points for those. He's very annoying, and he is one of the many reasons why I look forward to getting a different job away from that store. Plus he has a really bad haircut.

Another gal I work with is "Debbi". I suspect Debbi participates in a lot of "sins" that I'm sure would cause most Christians to gasp in utter horror. However, I've found that Debbi is a pretty neat person. I enjoy talking to her during our shift, when we have those opportunities. Believe it or not, we have a lot in common. We're both looking for jobs outside of OD, we both have a wide variety of interests, and we both think that boys are annoying and overrated. :) If all of the employees at OD were like Debbi, I think it would be a much more pleasant place to work. Debbi understands that, although this is a store and we have to make a profit, it's about more than sales. I can't help but wonder, if Debbi were to walk into a church today, would she be welcomed or shunned for her sinfulness? Honestly we should be welcoming her, because Debbi is humble enough to know that she is no better than anyone else. You and I are also no better than anyone else. I mean, you're a sinner, and I'm a sinner. We're all in need of God's grace. The end.

I think we would all do ourselves a favor if we took a good look at ourselves and realized how desperately we need God's grace, and that we are no better than anyone around us.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home