Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2005

straw wrappers, student teaching conferences, songs about struggles and triumphs, and master's degrees

Ok, so the alliteration fell apart at the end of that post title. Can you think of a way to say "M.ed." that begins with an s?

Where to begin, where to begin... I suppose with the student teaching conference, which was last Monday. Very exciting. I got my cap and gown, and I got some information about applying for jobs. I filled out an application on MoREAP tonight, which I will be able to send to lots of districts, including Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Independence, Oak Grove, and Grain Valley. Oak Grove and Grain Valley are really the top of my list right now. I think I would really like to start my career in a small district, and those two districts are small but growing.

That Andrew Peterson song, which I included in my last post, has really been a source of strength for me lately. I have been reading and re-reading the story of Abraham and Isaac in my Bible lately, drawing so much strenth from it, from Abraham's faith in God and his trust that everything would be okay in the end.

I am not yet positive, but I think I found the Master's Degree program that I want to pursue. It is through the University of Missouri - Columbia, but it is a Master's of Education degree with a focus on Literacy. The degree is offered entirely (or almost entirely) online. Perfect! Hopefully I will be able to start in January.

I've started tying my straw wrappers again. I used to do that when I was a freshman, or sometimes when I was a sophomore, in college, and when I went to Country Kitchen with my friends. All the girls would tie our straws in a knot, then we'd tug on the ends of the straw wrapper. If it broke and the knot stayed in the straw, then too bad, but if the knot slipped out, then that meant that your crush is likewise attracted to you (or at least is thinking about you). All those months of straw tugging, and ALWAYS had a knot in my straw wrapper. But lately I've been tying and tugging on my straw wrappers again, and every time I've tied, I've had no knot. I'm guessing it's a sign from God! It makes me happy!

5 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Thomas, At October 30, 2005 12:12 AM  

  • Hi there,

    As you asked, I did stop by your blog and say hello. I don't know if Thomas needs to "get a life" as much as he needs to get out in the world and experience what it's like to pay bills, worry about work, etc. etc.

    Now you, on the other hand, need some good luck. To me, it sounds like once you have your future work plans set up, all else will fall into place. I've been there, it's frustrating. But generally life makes it worth the wait.

    Speaking of frustration, since you're a Royals fan and I'm a Detroit Tigers fan, I can relate!

    On that note, I'll stop. But again, I hope your job search works out the way you want. As far as guys go, sometimes you have to take that flying leap and hope there's something on the other side.

    By Blogger Michael Swartz, At October 30, 2005 1:59 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Thomas, At October 30, 2005 4:55 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Thomas, At October 30, 2005 5:28 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Thomas, At October 30, 2005 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home