Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

NSWTHAIGTDWML-O-Meter

I've decided that for tonight's post, to celebrate the beginning of the holiday season and the fact that graduation is only 25 days away, I'm going to take a hint from the fake doctor at http://ahyesmedschool.blogspot.com/.

I am creating my NSWTHAIGTDWML-O-Meter. (No, Seriously, what the hell am I going to do with my life-o-meter)

With my experience thus far, I can rank different grade levels and faculty positions on the meter. Also, if I develop a burning desire to do something that is not related to teaching, I reserve the right to add that to the meter. That being said, "Find a Hot Husband" and "Marry Rich" are still ranking pretty high up there. And there's always the spot of "Hell No" for everything that will never be me.

I have very little to add to this meter right now. I know for sure I will be graduating in December. I also know I want to get my master's degree - and I would like to get it soon, though I am not in a terrible rush to get it.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to move out of my parents' house as soon as it is reasonable. I love my parents and everything, but sometimes we grate on each other. It can be difficult living together.

Of course, I definitely want to have a job next fall, though I am much more flexible about my future plans than I originally expected to be. In other words, I could probably teach any grade for a year or two, although next semester I have a feeling I'll get a taste of all of the grades. Then I will be able to tell you which ones are my favorites.

I'm actually leaning towards public school - though more for the salary than anything. I need a good benefits package. I'd still like to teach in private school a lot. But a good public school district might not be so bad.

So far, I must say I have really enjoyed working with fourth graders. My only frustration is the areas in which they are NOT prepared... i.e. since they are only assessed on one or two subjects every year, only one or two subjects are taught really well each year. This year, math is the subject that they can't do. That's frustrating.

So what has this post accomplished? Well, really, nothing, I suppose. I asked, no seriously, what the hell am I going to do with my life? and the only solid ideas I've come up with are "find a hot husband" and "marry rich"!

Oh well. I think this will all straighten itself out after I graduate. One thing I know for sure - and I never ever ever ever thought I would say this - I don't want to leave the Kansas City area. Preferably, I'd really like to stay in Eastern Jackson County. Maybe not in Independence but in Lee's Summit or Blue Springs or Grain Valley or Oak Grove. My 2 best friends live in EJC - Steve in Lee's Summit and Beth in Grain Valley. In fact, if I could get a job with the Grain Valley school district, that would be out of this world outstanding! Then I would probably also be able to go into grain valley and buy a duplex or townhouse or condo. Great investment!

So what's next year going to bring? I really don't know. It will be my first year of teaching, and it will definitely be stressful, so I might stick around with the parentals for another year or at least 6 months. After that, though, I have the wide open spaces before me, time to buy a home and get myself organized. It's hard to believe I'm graduating from college in 25 days. Time flies...

3 Comments:

  • I can't believe you're graduation is so soon. it's so exciting and scary at the same time. You'll do wonderful. No worries.

    By Blogger Lindsey, At November 23, 2005 6:50 PM  

  • Hey Tidy.
    Enjoy school life. Im sure it feels like its taking forever.. but will go quicker than you think.

    And you deserve a hot husband ;-) Best of luck there! Just be patient and never accept anyone less than what you deserve!

    Living with parents is hard sometimes... I faught with me all the time. The day I got married and moved out though our relationships have gotten much better. And since I had Caleb they've gotten even better! Crazy how things improve after you move out of a house. :-) I love my parents and miss them dearly though. I do wish we lived closer!

    By Blogger Drea, At November 26, 2005 8:02 PM  

  • Been a long time since I did the parental thing, so I can't comment there. One piece of advice I'll give you, especially in this day and age, is not to tie yourself down to one area. Obviously you have a familiarity with the KC area but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like other places either. Never thought I'd be living in Maryland but here I am. (As an added bonus, moving also solves your Steve problem.)

    By Blogger Michael Swartz, At November 26, 2005 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home