Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Miami's little sister and brother

Wow... what a day. Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but the job hunt has kept me so busy.

Early this afternoon, I adopted two new hamsters. I was only planning to adopt one, but then I went to the adoption center, and they had two that looked so cute - and needed homes. So, next thing I knew, I went home with two.

I spent nearly 45 minutes this afternoon making a new cage for the second one. I used to have an aquarium, but that broke, and I only had one other cage. The one cage I have is really nice and was really expensive - I wouldn't have bought it, but Miami's vet reccommended it for her. When I decided to get the second hamster, I ran over next door to Target and picked up a 66-gallon plastic container. When I got home, I got out my dad's screwdriver and drilled a bunch of airholes in it. It's all set up now for hamster occupation.

One hamster (the one I had planned to adopt) is a female black bear. She's a tiny little thing. She's pretty young though - just weaned a few days ago. She'll grow to be a LOT bigger. Her new name is Tallahassee, Tally for short. But my mother calls her Skunk - look at the pictures to understand why.

The other critter - the one I didn't plan to adopt but who I couldn't leave behind - is a male long-haired teddy bear. His age is unknown - his former owners did not reveal that information about him. Based on what I know about hamsters, though, I'd guess that he is between six months and one year old. Probably closer to six months. His new name is Pahokee.

Both of these critters are much jumpier than Miami was when I got her. Miami was about two or three months old and very mellow when I got her. She was tame within a day. Neither of these critters will let me pick them up yet.

Tally has a little scratch under her eye, so as soon as I can, I am going to try to get her into the vet. I'd also like to get Pahokee checked out by my vet, just in case. I take all my critters to Dr. Allan at Lakewood Animal Health Center. She has an amazing gift with small animals.

Here's a couple of photos, and you can see additional photos by clicking on the links below. By the way, these hamsters could also be called the "we stand still for no one" hamsters. Sorry the pics aren't very good, but since I can't pick these guys up yet, I have to deal with some awkward angles and wiggly hamsters.





Tallahassee 1
Tallahassee 2
Tallahassee 3
Tallahassee 4
Tallahassee 5
Tallahassee 6

Pahokee 1
Pahokee 2
Pahokee 3
Pahokee 4
Pahokee 5
Pahokee 6
Pahokee 7

4 Comments:

  • Cute! :-)

    By Blogger Drea, At February 01, 2006 1:17 PM  

  • Dan,
    I'm already a sub at the private school, but I haven't accepted the offer for a job for next year. It's not my top choice. I would really enjoy teaching there but it's not competitive with the local school districts.

    And I hate to disappoint you, but I have no "agenda" to present, except one in which I can teach students to be confident, productive members of society. Your ignorant comments obviously reflect the fact that you have never seen me in a classroom.

    ~TB

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At February 01, 2006 4:31 PM  

  • AWWWW
    they are so cute, where did you adopt them from?

    By Blogger Princessa, At February 01, 2006 9:14 PM  

  • thanks so much for your encouraging words, they have helped tremendously! i am still soaking it all in.

    and congrats for to you for holding out for God's best! you're right, it will be more than worth the wait!

    blessings,
    lisa

    By Blogger Radical One, At February 01, 2006 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home