Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

leg waxing hall of fame

With my dark hair and fair skin, hair removal has been a part of my life since a very young age. I'm a pretty hairy person - that's not just an admission, that's a fact. As a teenager, I used razors - both disposable and really really nice (aka expensive) - to shave the hair on my legs and armpits. But I have a lot of hair - yes, even on my legs - to deal with, and I had to devote a lot of time to maintaining smooth legs. I loved the feel of smooth legs, but long ago I gave up on maintaining daily smoothness, as I had to shave almost every day.

Now I will say that, as far as razors are concerned, I have learned a lot over the years. I owned a Venus Vibrance at one time, which I loved, but that razor was stolen from me in a public bathroom on the Anastasis. After that, I switched back to disposables, and was pleasantly pleased to discover the Bic Soleil:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Now, there are disposable and non-disposable forms of the Soleil. I've only tried the disposables, and I will say that I think that as far as razors are concerned, these are fantastic.

However, lately I have decided to try my hand at waxing. I can't afford a really nice salon wax, so I have been trying at-home waxing products.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
First I tried the Nair Roll-on Wax. I can think of nothing positive to say about this. I went through great pain with this wax, but virtually no hair was removed. The wax was sticky, messy, and difficult to remove. Don't waste your money.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
So recently, I rode my bike to the nearby drugstore and purchased the Sally Hansen No-Heat Gel Roll-on Hair Remover. I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised by just how well this product works. There's a bit of a trick to it - the linen strips MUST be pulled off parallel to the body, not perpendicular - but this product removes most of the hair. The process does take patience - for best results, you generally have to wax the same areas two or three times. However, with this product there is minimal pain, and quite a bit of success. Also, the wax rinses off easily with water.

I can't say that I have yet been able to remove 100% of the hair from my legs, but I'm actually quite pleased despite that. Here's how I see it: By waxing every two or three weeks (which is a bit more often than may be absolutely necessary), I am removing most of the hair, and what's left is so much thinner. By doing this continually for several months, it should significantly change the hair on my legs, causing it to grow back thinner and lighter.

There are a few other at-home waxing products that I would still like to try, and I have no doubt you will read about those here. But for today, I must say that the Sally Hansen gel is the best. I'm quite hesitant to try any other Nair products, but I do hope to try a couple of different Veet and Sally Hansen products. Keep reading and one day you'll hear about those!

5 Comments:

  • You've been tagged by me. Check my blog for details

    By Blogger Dianna, At May 17, 2007 8:52 AM  

  • Hi,

    I haven't tried waxing. I guess I have been to chicken. I think it will hurt so I just shave. Have you tried waxing your armpits or just on the legs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 20, 2007 9:39 PM  

  • i tried waxing before but i never liked it. not that i have a lot of hair to remove it's just out of curiosity. shaving, that's what i do. but there's one product here that people say really works. i'm sure you have this there too. veet. have you tried that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 23, 2007 11:45 PM  

  • Summer,
    I will admit that I was blessed with a somewhat high pain tolerance. But it really doesn't hurt that much, if you do it correctly. If you're really afraid of pain, just take a Tylenol or Ibuprofen before you start - that will kind of "numb" your pain sensitivity. You could also keep a bowl of ice nearby to numb your skin (before or after). You'd have to be cautious, though, because the wax won't work on wet skin. Any pain you may have only lasts for a moment, and to me that's worthwhile, given that the hair is gone for such a long time!

    Pia,
    I guess for me, one reason I am interested in waxing is because my skin is so fair and my hair is so dark and thick - including the hair on my legs! The hair also grows super-fast, meaning I've always needed to shave at least daily to remain smooth, and even that doesn't completely work. So I'm always interested in new or different ways to get rid of that hair!
    Yes - I've heard of Veet, and I'm actually a big fan of it. It doesn't eliminate the hair for 3-4 weeks like waxing, but it does prevent the hair from growing for at least twice as long as shaving. So yes - I like that a lot as well!
    ~TB

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At May 28, 2007 11:25 AM  

  • We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. facial etobicoke

    By Blogger Muhammad Hassan, At October 02, 2018 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home