Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

Mannatech revisited...

I don't like "MLM"s, or Multi-level Marketing schemes. I'm suspicious of everything sold by an MLM. If it's such a great product, why is it not being sold on shelves at Walmart or another store? Or, at the very least, why doesn't it have a good infomercial? Several good products have made the leap from "infomercial" to "Walmart" - the George Foreman grill comes to mind. I'm even wary of the Mary Kay makeup - one of the most common MLMs around. Why can't I see the makeup and compare the colors first?

Anyway, awhile ago I wrote this post about Mannatech, an MLM that sell a sugar pill called Ambrotose. They claim that Ambrotose can cure cancer, Alzheimer's, even Down Syndrome, as well as a host of other illesses.

Well, I did more research on the placebo effect. Turns out, it IS possible for the body's immune system to fight a tumor or another form of cancer due to the placebo effect (although there is no cure for Alzheimer's or Down's). So perhaps some people will take Ambrotose and improve. But I don't believe they are going to improve due to a sugar pill - I mean, cancer feeds off of sugar! It's just the placebo effect.

I got a sort-of "hate" email from Angie Rhoads, who is featured in that post, telling me that I need to know more about glyconutrients like Ambrotose before stating that, "in my opinion, Ambotose is nothing but snake oil". Furthermore, she asked me to "please do not write about something that you do not know about".

Well Angie, I'm sorry to say it, but the joke's on you. Not only have I taught science, not only is my best friend a medical professional, not only have I lived on a ship with 300+ other medical professionals, but Angie, I guess I'll have to remind you about the car accident that put me into a coma, the years of recovery, the brain injury that almost killed me, the weeks I spent on life support, the hundreds of complications I've suffered, the hospitalizations, and the lifetime of bi-monthly visits to eight different doctor. I guess you never considered that I've learned an encyclopedia of information about the human brain, not because I wanted to, but because I needed to. I guess you never thought that maybe I am one of the people who would be dead without modern medicine.

I stand by what I've said. Mannatech is selling a snake oil in the form of Ambrotose, and falsely claiming that it can work miracles. Show me scientific, double-blind studies that analyze the effects of Ambrotose. IF those studies prove that Ambrotose leads to more improvement than a placebo, then maybe I would consider it to be a realisitic option. However, if Ambrotose is so amazing, why is it only sold through Mannatech's salespeople? Why it sold through an MLM? It just does't make sense.

Hope is a powerful drug, Angie. I can only pray that hope is a strong enough drug to keep you healthy for the remainder of your natural life.

5 Comments:

  • First off, MLMs have been around for over 50 years. Anyone that doesn't trust this sort of business or calls it a pyramid scheme obviously does not no anything about how it works- simple as that. It's the fairest way for anyone to make a supplemental income by sharing the knowledge of a product or service that will benefit another's daily life.

    The "sugar pill" you refer to is actually specific sugars found on glcoprotein structures of cells. Maybe you've heard of this new science called Glycomics. MIT Technlogy called it one of the technologies that will change the world. This Research and Development company you don't trust is actually Christian based and is about thirteen years ahead of the big pharmaceutical companies.

    Angie Rhoads was used for a 20/20 segment about Ambrotose. Yes USED... They lied about her condition. You see she doesn't have cancer anymore in her brain. But this was not stated in the 20/20 segment.

    There are thousands of papers on the individual sugars found in the glyconutrient blend. Yes thousands. Of course the scientific community ignores this, as the there are no product name specific studies done on Ambrotose. You don't have to be a scientist to figure the combination of the sugars (food) will be as beneficial, if not more, as the studies have proven to be.

    It's very sad that few understand the MLM concept. It is all based under a biased uneducated opinion of the industry. I can understand you stand on this, as I did not "get it" myself at one point. All I thought was "pyramid scheme." But once I was open to learning about it I realized what a fool I was in assuming and being a follower with the naysayers. I realized I didn't know anything about it. The Corporate world is that actual pyramid scheme.

    Mannatech is a Christian based company. There is so much behind this company that you don't know about- how it came together. It was more than an accident. It was a divine power that made it all happen. Yes, I believe this. And now all of the negative in the world is fighting to bring it down. Some of it coming from those unaware or misguided. This is how things work. It's ok as God will help this great company stay on its feet and become a great good that will help many in the world that suffers from a health crisis.

    Tidy Bowl I will pray for you to see things in a clear light.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 12, 2007 10:37 AM  

  • Hundreds of thousands of people have seen dramatic quality of life improvements taking Ambrotose. That's why they keep buying it - almost 400 million dollars worth of it last year alone. Why? Because they know the truth - it helps them feel better and they don't need a scientific study to tell them what their own experience has already told them.
    There is no scientific double blind study proving that breathing fresh air will keep us alive, but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath until someone shows you one. Our minds are like parachutes, they must be open to funcion properly. Good luck and God Bless Tidy Bowl.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 12, 2007 11:44 AM  

  • Blah, blah, blah, those last two posts are par for the course for your typical sugar-pill shills.

    Your request was pretty straightforward - provide a double-blind, placebo controlled study that proves that Mannatech can do anything at all.

    Watch how quickly they change the topic when you ask for that.

    Your assessment of Mannatech is 100% on. Great blog post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 12, 2007 7:51 PM  

  • Thanks Anonymous #3. Isn't it amazing how defensive they get when their sugar pill is threatened? If indeed it does all the great things they claim, then they should have no need to be defensive - just provide the facts that prove it.

    I have a good friend in my church whose son has Down Syndrome. Mannatech has claimed that Ambrotose can cure Down's, but my friend has suffered through the reality that there is no cure for Down's, and that Matthew (her son) will always have Down's and all the symptoms that go with it (both good and bad).

    I am so sorry that Angie ever had to deal with a brain tumor. I am so thankful that she is surviving and she is well. But the truth is - and Anon #3, I think you saw this - I know at least as much about the brain as Angie due to my own car accident and the brain injury that I received from that. And I can guarantee you that Ambrotose would NOT have cured me or helped me in any way. What did help me was a lot of prayer, some very wise doctors, a ventilator, and some very strong medicines.

    In the aftermath of my car accident, I had to study both brain sciences and nutrition. Because of that I know that the term "glyconutrient" is not a scientifically accepted term.

    Anon #2, there ARE scientific double-blind studies proving that breathing fresh air will keep us alive. That's how we know that we can survive on air that is only 5-7% oxygen.

    Anon #2, I DO have an open mind. That's why I take Vitamin C when I get a cold - previous scientific studies have proven that vitamin C will lessen the effects of a cold. That's why my mom takes a baby aspirin every day - previous scientific studies have proven that it's good for her heart. Provide me with a scientific double-blind placebo controlled study proving that Ambrotose is what it says it is, and I will believe you. Until then, I stand by my comments.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At August 12, 2007 10:08 PM  

  • E. ``Am I under arrest.
    free taboo stories and photos
    beastiality short stories
    adult stories young incest
    free self bondage stories
    xxx stories pics
    E. ``Am I under arrest.

    By Anonymous kristen archives bondage stories, At December 04, 2010 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home