Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2005

confusion and choices

So much going on lately...

I've been busting my hump to earn enough money to pay off the repairs on my car. I would also really like to have enough left over to expand my hamster's cage. I got paid yesterday, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy more cage for my ham, but I think I'm through with the car.

I'm also beginning to consider the fall semester and what I'd like to do, job-wise, during that time. Fazoli's is a giant question-mark right now. Of course, I get paid a fast-food salary - 6.65 an hour. I would really like to become a pharmacy technician, but I can't find anyone who is willing to hire me without any experience. Starting pay for pharm techs is usually 8.00-8.50 per hour. I actually got offered a pharm tech job, but I turned it down, because it was at the Osco Drug on the corner of Bannister and Blue Ridge. Not only is that a long way from where I live, but it's kind of in the ghetto. They promised me that they have increased security since the last time they got robbed... but that's still a bit unsettling for me.

Anyway, with no other job offers that leaves me with the option of either staying at Fazoli's, quitting and having no job, or taking a leave of absence during school and returning to Fazoli's in December.

I was already thinking about leaving Fazoli's. Staying at Fazoli's would mean that I would have to work with a really immature high school girl who hates me and a convicted felon who is on probation and who I find incredibly annoying. Also, I already have to fight for my hours - especially since the felon has come back from her personal leave. That's only going to get worse after school starts and my hours become more limited. Not to mention, I think the manager I ratted out about her after-hours partying (I'll call her C) at Fazoli's has figured out that I am the one who ratted her out.

Yesterday the general manager asked me to come in to work early so that he could speak with me. Ok, no big deal. Turns out that another of the managers - and he strongly hinted which manager - is intimidated by me. I have such good "Fazoli's Friendly Service", and I have such a natural tendency to be a leader - that is, I naturally delegate responsibility. And I don't even understand where her problem is with that. You see, when business is slow (or not) and I have a task to do along with another associate, I naturally divide the responsibility to make it faster. "Why don't you put tomatoes on the salads and then I will put the lids on the salads?" That kind of thing. My GM says he LOVES this kind of thing, loves it because he recognizes that this helps the restaurant succeed. But this other, younger, more inexperienced manager (I'll call her E) apparently becomes intimidated when I do that.

Then the manager first broached the subject of moving up in the Fazoli's hierarchy. He gave me a highly "vague" answer - if I want to become a manager, just keep doing what I'm doing. But it was on my mind all evening, so I asked the manager that evening about it. My next step up would be to become a trainer. In order to do that, I would have to learn how to do other stuff in the restaurant - like making the pastas and sauces, and doing the steamtable and baketable. Also I'd have to take a short test and answer some questions and stuff. That would give me a 25 cent raise. From there I could become an associate manager, which would lead me to a 50 cent raise. The next step up from that is a restaurant manager, which is a salaried position in which you work 45 hours per week.

So if I stay, I could move up in the pay and power scale, which doesn't necessarily sound half bad. I really love my GM. At the same time, I would also have to put up with immature employees, a convicted felon, and a manager or two who don't like me and who would probably dislike me even more if I moved up in the Fazoli's hierarchy.

Or I could leave, or take a leave of absence, and probably would have less stress while I'm student teaching.

The honest truth, though, is that even if I am able to move all the way up to associate manager (which is probably as high as I would want to go), that only pulls my salary up to 7.40 per hour. Not that great. Sooooooo.... I am really praying that some kind of amazing job offer will come along that pays a lot and has a flexible schedule. But... my GM really really loves me. He'll do a lot to keep me on his schedule. And no matter where I work, there are going to be people I don't like or people who are difficult to work with.

So maybe I should stay at Fazoli's. What I am leaning towards right now is, unless I get a phone call with a job offer from someone else, I think I will stay at Fazoli's at least for a couple of weeks into my student teaching, until I know more about what to expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home