Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Friday, February 03, 2006

lil' stinker!

The Skunk let me hold her tonight, a few times. Grudgingly, I might add. I have no photos of her because she was very jumpy and required two hands at all times to be held securely. My mom fed her some different treats, though, and she took treats out of my mom's hand, which was a huge sign of progress.

Every time I held her, I was struk by how little she is. She's still a baby, really - she's a toddler, in human years. So she will grow a lot bigger still. I'll try to get a photo of her with a ruler sometime soon, but don't count on it, as she is very jumpy and still a bit temperamental. She's so pretty and so small. It just makes me feel so blessed to hold this tiny creature in my hands. This tiny little thing, created by God, with a tiny little heart that beats and tiny little legs that run on her wheel (constantly!) and oversized ears that are always sticking straight up, listening to the curious sounds around her.

In the process of rescuing and adopting Pahoki and the Skunk, I learned that the Kansas City area has organizations dedicated to adopting rabbits and guinea pigs, but there are no adoption organizations for hamsters, gerbils, mice, or rats. In my mind, I keep turning this fact over and over. I wish I had more time and more space in my home. Especially the space. If I had more space I would establish a small animal rescue in a heartbeat. I just wish I could adopt every one of those lonely, scared little animals. I hate to imagine what will become of them.

8 Comments:

  • I wonder how big hampsters brains are :-) just wondering lol. My bird seemed very smart... we always called him a "Pea Brain" though lol.

    By Blogger Drea, At February 03, 2006 2:36 PM  

  • Thanks Pia. I figure that Noah was really lucky... he got to have all kinds of pets!

    Drea, that's a good question. I'll have to investigate that answer.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At February 03, 2006 2:43 PM  

  • Tidy, the link below is the high-rise I use for my hamsters. I got it at PetCo.

    http://static.flickr.com/22/95447362_dab64842e9.jpg?v=0

    I couldn't comment on your post above, but I wanted to say that instead of hoping she'll leave her husband you might want to pray for his change. They're married now (right?) and that's a holy union, no matter what you think of him or the reasons why she married him.

    Matthew 19:6 (New International Version)

    "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

    Remember that.

    By Blogger Crawley, At February 04, 2006 2:50 PM  

  • Thanks Be. Sorry about that post above - I'm having trouble with Blogger right now.

    About my cousin though - I honestly wish there was a way that they could work it out. But I'm afraid to let her stay with him, because she is not strong enough to fight back if/when he starts beating her. Remember, "The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife."

    With all my heart, I would love to see the entire family turn toward Jesus and live the rest of their lives seeking to follow Him. But that cannot happen if one or more family members is not safe - physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At February 04, 2006 3:04 PM  

  • I completely understand tidy. However, I still think you should pray for his change instead of looking for an excuse to get her to leave him.

    Tell her that although having a baby is a wonderful thing, she needs to consider what kind of environment that baby will be living in. She should work things out with her husband before bringing in another person to the mix.

    PS: I'm not saying she should allow him to hurt her, but that you should support her 100% in this marriage. Counceling is a great thing.

    By Blogger Crawley, At February 04, 2006 10:24 PM  

  • Be-
    Oh I absolutely agree. The "ideal" situation would be that both parents come to a close relationship with Jesus and raise the child as such.

    What has been running through the back of my mind has been what I've learned in my criminology and sociology classes about domestic abuse. I wrote a pretty extensive research paper on it once. The people i interviewed at Hope House (http://www.hopehouse-ejc.org/), a domestic violence shelter nearby, told me that in the situations where the abuser is willing to change, the best solution is usually for the couple to separate for a time and to seek individual counseling, then eventually to seek couples' counseling (while still receiving individual counseling), and then to move back together.

    But yes, I do hope they can work it out. I guess my biggest thing is that I just want something to change. The situation, as it stands right now, is dangerous.

    Also, a baby coming into a (potentially) violent relationship is pretty bad because violence runs in cycles. Men abuse their girlfriends or wives because they saw dad abuse his girlfriend or wife. Women tend to marry abusers because their mom was married to an abuser. (Of course, people of the opposite sex can do both; it just happens to a lesser degree.)

    I'm so afraid for that baby. Who is going to stand up for that child?

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At February 04, 2006 10:49 PM  

  • Oh by the way Be- another thing we can all pray for, I think my cousin is kind of against counseling. Looks like both you and I know that it's a great thing. There are times in your life when counseling can really help you work through tough situations. But she has told me before that she thinks counseling is for "crazy people". So I sure don't know if she would be willing to seek that.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At February 04, 2006 10:56 PM  

  • Even if all she did was speak to someone she trusted, like a minister, or a christian uncle or something that would be great. It doesn't necessarily have to be a certified psychologist.

    By Blogger Crawley, At February 07, 2006 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home