Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2006

stupid selfish americans!

This is purely a vent. I almost got on here last night to vent, but I was so angry then, that I decided to wait until today.

I've been preparing a presentation for my church this upcoming Sunday about Mercy Ships and what I will be doing in Africa. I have a powerpoint accompanying this presentation. As I've put together this powerpoint, I have been infuriated, because there are a lot of pictures that I cannot include. These are pictures of real life. Pictures of adults in Africa with tumors, infections, even an untreated cleft lip - pictures of real life! And you know why I can't include these?

Because they would upset some of the people in my church. People would be UPSET by reality. I'm sorry that we live in a cushy little bubble, but this is real life! These are the same people who would rather write a check to support a homeless shelter than go with the rest of the church to serve dinner at that homeless shelter in downtown KC. Grrr! I mean, the Bible does not say "Send money to the widows and orphans". It says "Take care of the widows and orphans. Change the oil in their cars. Fix their pipes when they burst. Shovel the snow off their driveways. And when you get a two-week vacation from your job, take your blessings to people in need. Go to Mexico or China or Africa and build an orphanage. Paint the walls of the church. Patch the roofs of their homes. And you know what? Soon people will start asking you about the God you believe in, because you are doing so many nice things for them." (Ok, so I paraphrased a bit. But I think I got the general idea.)

I am always reminded that they'll face their own judgement before God. But it's frustrating to see others live their lives like that, and deceive themselves into believing that they are doing God's will. And there's not a single thing I can do about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home