Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2007

flu shots and mrsa the superbug

It is flu shot season again. We’re in great shape this year – no shortage of vaccines. In past years, when there was a shortage, I often did not get a shot. However, I am not afraid of needles – in fact, I almost prefer needles to oral vaccines – and whenever I can, I do get vaccinated against the flu. (When I was young, I was given the oral polio vaccine, but I’m probably not very vaccinated against it because it made me so sick!)

This year, since my job basically keeps me at home most of the time, I am considering skipping the flu shot. Getting immunized will cost me $20 or $25. However, with the MRSA superbug running wild lately, I’m more than a bit concerned. Of course, I know the flu and MRSA are not the same, but needless to say it’s keeping the thought at the front of my mind. If I get sick, whether it’s the flu or MRSA, and I wind up needing to go to the doctor, even just one doctor’s visit will cost more than $20. So maybe it would be smarter to just get the shot now. Yikes.

2 Comments:

  • ... just don't share football helmets and I think everything will be just fine... with the MRSA thingie. Why even chance catching the flu and being miserable? It'll cost you over $25 for the doctor's visit and another $25 for the meds for the flu and the misery for having the worst feeling head you ever have had for like 2 days.

    BYE!
    Beth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 28, 2007 7:16 PM  

  • Yea... that's kinda what I'm thinking too. Plus what if the doctor wants to run tests? What if the compromised immunity leads to bronchitis, strep throat, etc? Add a couple of x-rays and the bills can really go sky high... and needless to say, I can't afford that right now (or ever).

    My mom clipped a schedule of flu shot clinics from the newspaper. I'm pretty sure that the Independence Health Department is doing a walk-in flu shot clinic this week. Costs $20.

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At October 28, 2007 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home