Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Monday, February 06, 2006

mom's burritos

I was laying in bed last night thinking about posting this. My mom created this recipe for burritos that is really simple, and I think there are a lot of people who might like this.

Also, for all the ingredients, I have not included "amounts", because we generally don't measure amounts on them. We just make a serving per person (i.e. make 3 servings of corn if you will be serving 3 people, etc.). This is a very flexible recipe, so you can play with it an awful lot.

Chicken breasts, cut up into small chunks
Corn (frozen)
Salsa
Plain white rice
Refried beans (1 can)
Cheese (shredded, of course - the best kind is the jack or cheddar jack cheese)

Spray a wok or a skillet (we use a wok but I think a skillet would be fine) with non stick spray. Brown several small chunks of chicken over medium heat. When the chicken is done, add salsa and corn. (If you like spicy burritos, use lots of spicy salsa; if you like less spicy burritos use a medium amount of mild salsa.) Cook the chicken/corn/salsa mix for 3-4 minutes, until the corn is thawed and cooked.

In another pot, cook some rice. Again, just based on how many burritos you will be making, cook servings of rice according to the directions on the package. Usually it's my mom, dad, and myself, so we cook 3 servings of rice.

Get out your dinner plates and put one large tortilla on each plate. Spread refried beans on the center of the tortilla. Add some rice on top of the beans. Add some chicken/corn/salsa on top of that. Sprinkle some cheese on top of that. I like to add a bit more salsa on top of that, though my parents don't like that. Stick it in the microwave for one minute. When it comes out of the microwave, you can wrap the tortilla around the burrito, though it's usually a tight squeeze!

This is a very flexible recipe. I think it could be changed a lot. For example, we always make it with refried beans but I bet it would work out with black beans. Also, we always use chicken, but I have a feeling it would work out fine with ground beef. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home