Tidy Bowl Has No Idea What to Name Her Blog

Sunday, September 03, 2006

legacy

A few days ago, I was writing an email to an old teacher and telling her about why I chose to become a teacher. Those discussions got me to thinking... because the reason I chose to become a teacher is largely the same reason I am going to Africa.

It has to do with lives. I want to teach so that I can change lives. And when I'm gone, I don't care if they say "Tidy Bowl was a really awesome person". The best legacy that I can leave is if one the people whose life I have changed, goes on to change lives as well. And may the chain continue! If we could each just impact one person in our life, plant one seed, we could have a true revival!

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the Who's Who's and So-and-So's
That used to be the best at such and such
It wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an "Atta boy" or "Atta girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough?
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

Don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well-traveled, not well-read
Not well-to-do, or well-bred
Just want to hear instead
Well done, good and faithful one

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me

~Legacy by Nichole Nordeman


P.S. Stay tuned - Tidy Bowl will soon be revealed!

2 Comments:

  • You will change lives. I'm sure of it. Keep pressing on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 03, 2006 5:28 PM  

  • Thanks Janna.

    As I was thinking, it's a legacy. I really like that Nichole Nordeman song. It really seems to say what I am (usually) thinking. Sure - can't deny it - I wouldn't mind terribly if I became the next "Mother Teresa" or something, dying in great fame for all the wonderful things I've done in my life and perpetually remembered in history books worldwide. But that's really just the human/sinful part of me.

    An even bigger part of me hopes that "I" won't be remembered, but that I can go and make a difference in a life - Lord willing, even, lead a person to Christ! And then, after I'm gone, if that person would go on to plant seeds in other people, and then if those people would go on to plant seeds...

    Janna, I know you understand that indeed, that is the best legacy I could ever even dream of!

    By Blogger Tidy Bowl, At September 03, 2006 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home